Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pretty and small cake (sweet) book

Pretty and small cake (sweet) book

ちっちゃくて、かわいいプチケーキの本。

By 荻田 尚子 (Hisako Ogita)


As the name of the book, all the sweet in this book are come in small size and cute, too. I bought this book because I really like small size sweet, for the cute look, easy to eat and small size is welcomed by everyone (even the people who’s on diet, haha).


The book divides into 6 parts:

Part 1: Sponge

Part 2: Choux

Part 3: Tart

Part 4: Pie

Part 5: Chocolate & Cheese

Part 6: Small container

With a special wrapping idea on each part.

About 49 recipes which base from the basic recipe.

All the part start by the basic recipe and how-to make instruction, then follow by the recipe of each sweet which use the base from the basic. Like small layer cake from sponge cake and etc. The recipe is not hard to make after reading the basic part you will know how to from the master recipe (that came with a step by step pictures).


I have to say that I like Japanese book from the way that the instruction is clear, a step by step pictures are the best, even for the people who bake a lot like me.


The photographs in the book are cute, and inspiring, may be because I always like a small thing.

I like to bake so much and small size is great both for eating and giving, so I can bake more without having a lot of cake or any kinds of sweet in my fridge.

And now, it time for recipe testing. I make a Petite Chocolate Muffin (in fact the name in the book is double chocolate muffin), but I add more chocolate chip on top and use both kinds of dark and white chocolate chip. You can use only dark chocolate chip but I like the taste of the muffin to be milder so I add white chocolate chips.

This muffin is quite small, so it’s a good snack for the afternoon you can serve it with a coffee or tea and may be one is not enough.

Petite Chocolate Muffin

Makes 4 x 3.5 cm – 12 pieces

About 18 mini muffins

(I use mini-cheese cake pan line with paper makes 9 pieces)


90 g

Cake flour

1 tsp

Baking powder

20 g

Cocoa powder

1

Egg

60 g

Sugar

60 cc

Whole milk

50 g

Butter

25 g

Semisweet chocolate chip

25 g

White chocolate chip


Extra chip for sprinkle on top





Preheat oven to 180 °C.

Sift together cake flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.

Line tins with cupcake papers or use paper baking cup.

In a bowl, cream the butter on the medium speed of an electric mixer, until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well. Combine the flours and add in 3 parts, alternating with the milk, on the last portions of flour add both chocolate chips.


Spoon the batter into the cups about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with chocolate chip.

Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 17-20 minutes. (Be careful not to over bake, the muffin will be too dry). If using mini muffin the baking time will be about 15 minutes.


13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading all yr post and its nice how you introduced great japanese baking books..its an eye opener for me. Does this book comes with english instructions?
    Are you able to share a japanese choux cream puff from this book cause my family loves eating them. My email mrry_lim@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sue
    I'm so glad that you enjoy reading my blog, about the Japaneses books, they don't have English instruction.
    I've made the choux puff :
    Choux Puff
    Or may be you mention the big one with whipped cream,
    I will make it if I have a chance.
    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed the choux puff on your blog and yes that's the one i like. But i really would like to try the japanese version on this book ..if there's any because theirs are so delicate and nice.
    rgds

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, would you be able to tell me where you got the little cupcake liners and the cake pan from? thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pan is Norpro Mini Cheesecake Pan, which you can buy it from Amazon, and the liner, I bought it in Thailand, it's the standard cupcake liner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Which part of Thailand you bought the standard cupcake liner? in Bangkok? where?

    May I know if you order the Japanese cookbooks from Amazon or book store in Thailand?

    I really love to buy the cookbook though I don't quite read Japanese.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Irene
    I brought it in the shop name Chaun Chom, at Talad Bangkane.
    And I ordered most of my books from Amazon. jp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just watched ur blog for few days, n I love it so much!!! Can u tell me where should I buy that book for eng instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    This recipe looks really nice, and I would love to try it. But may I use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, but you will need to substitute by using 85g of all purpose flour and 5 gram of cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried it out and it was absolutely amazing! Except the muffin itself was very thick and heavy, kind of like a brownie. Do you have any suggestions to make them light and fluffy?
    I've read from other blogs that using a mixer is bad, may this be one of the reasons?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When adding the flour I use the spatula to fold it not the mixer ^^.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...